Assistance with Check Writing and Monthly Financial Management
Senior Connections, The Capital Area Agency on Aging
Who We Are
The Money Management Program is designed to assist older adults aged 60 and over with managing their personal finances.
Trained volunteers provide one-on-one check writing and bill paying services in the home. Money Management enables older adults to be supported, remain at home and have the peace of mind that their bills are paid in a timely fashion. The program also provides protection from exploitation.
Older Adults may use the Money Management Program to get help with:
- Creating a filing system,
- Preparing a budget,
- Ensuring bills are paid in a timely fashion,
- Reading and interpreting billing statements,
- Writing checks for the client's signature,
- Balancing the checkbook and reviewing bank statements,
- Sorting through bills to eliminate duplicate statements or exploitative information.
Services are tailored to the individual's needs and requirements. Volunteers typically work in the client's own home, at least once per month. Training including background checks are performed for volunteers prior to assignment. There is no charge for services but donations are encouraged if the client is financially able. To participate, applicants must: (1) use one checking account specifically for paying routine monthly bills and expenses; and (2) have a direct deposit of their income.